Bring your burgers to the next level and impress your friends with this Black Burger recipe created in collaboration with Master Chef Nicolas Rieffel. You will find yourself in a "phone eats first" situation because these burgers are Instagram worthy!
Serves 8 people
Black Burger Buns:
1 cup warm water
3 Tbsp hot milk
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
1Tbsp squid ink
5.5 cups bread flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp softened butter
5 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp Jägermeister
For 8 Burgers:
8 hamburger patties
8 buffalo mozzarella balls
1 package of arugula
8 slices of beefsteak tomato
roasted pine nuts (to taste)
olive oil (to taste)
balsamic vinegar (to taste)
lemon juice (to taste)
coarse salt (to taste)
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Black Burger Buns:
- In a mixer mix water, milk, yeast, and sugar. Let it rest for a few minutes while the yeast proofs. Meanwhile, beat one egg with squid ink in a small bowl.
- Add squid ink mixture to the yeast. Then add both flours and salt. Mix everything together, adding the butter a little bit at a time. Mix on low speed to 8-10 mins - the dough should be a little bit sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball, place it in a greased pan and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Once dough has risen, line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper and divide the dough into 8 equal sized balls and place them on the lined baking sheet. Cover with a clean cloth and let them rise again in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Beat the remaining egg and once the rolls have risen, brush them with the egg mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- In a saucepan, heat the ketchup and Jägermeister, stirring until it is reduced in texture.
Assembling each burger:
- Fry your burger on a hot grill or in a hot carbon steel pan
- Cut the bun in half and toast the sides for 1 minute on the grill
- Brush each half of the bun with the Jägermeister sauce
- Crumble half of the mozzarella and spread along the bottom bun
- place the burger patty on top, then spread the other half of the mozzarella ball on top
- Add tomato slice
- Combine arugula, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and pine nuts in a bowl and place a handful of the mixture on the burger
- Add the top bun and voila!
Products used in this recipe: